Sky Glass

Dave
Has liked: 921 times
Been liked: 2124 times

Sky Glass

Post by Dave »

Richard46 wrote: Looks like you are paying Sky for the hardware that locks you into paying for their services.
That's a good point - I would be surprised if the TV can get Freeview!
Dave (aka Admin)

www.natterzone.com - a chat forum based in the UK but for anyone in the world to talk about anything that they want to!
finlux
Has liked: 2770 times
Been liked: 780 times

Sky Glass

Post by finlux »

Dave wrote:
Richard46 wrote: Looks like you are paying Sky for the hardware that locks you into paying for their services.
I'm sure I read that it also has a Freeview tuner, but it is only activated if the TV loses the internet connection.

I wonder how quick it will be at changing channels? If you use one of the streaming channels on Freeview (like Vision TV or Channelbox) it takes a few moments to change the channel to something else, whilst changing the channel on Cable/Satellite/Freeview is relatively instant.
Cathy
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 176 times

Sky Glass

Post by Cathy »

Dave wrote:
Cathy wrote: I want to go back to the old days where we only had 4 channels ..It was sooooo much easier. I'm getting too old for all this technology :sleepygran:. I've just switched back to Virginmedia and the landline is now plugged into the router. Yesterday I found out what a bad idea that is as the internet went down and as the phone is routed via the hub that went off too! :evil:
Is the idea of this to give free calls? (Voip?) If not, sounds like a very bad idea!
Originally I think that was their plan but it doesnt look like it's going to be rolled out anytime soon and I'm still being charged for phone calls. When I originally had Virgin my landline was stand alone so If the broadband went down then I could still make calls and Virgin do seem to go down a lot more than other providers :shrug: I only switched as they were a cheaper option.
'Therapy is expensive, use bubble wrap it's much cheaper!'
Dave

Sky Glass

Post by Dave »

finlux wrote:
Dave wrote:

I'm sure I read that it also has a Freeview tuner, but it is only activated if the TV loses the internet connection.

I wonder how quick it will be at changing channels? If you use one of the streaming channels on Freeview (like Vision TV or Channelbox) it takes a few moments to change the channel to something else, whilst changing the channel on Cable/Satellite/Freeview is relatively instant.
BIB. That makes sense!

Re the speeds of things. In "olden days" equipment used to switch on or off in an instant. Not now! Our Freeview box takes about 4 minutes to get going! Also, if we watch Amazon Prime through our TV, it takes an age to load, then on each button press it has to "think" about it!
Dave (aka Admin)

www.natterzone.com - a chat forum based in the UK but for anyone in the world to talk about anything that they want to!
Dave

Sky Glass

Post by Dave »

Cathy wrote:
Dave wrote:

Is the idea of this to give free calls? (Voip?) If not, sounds like a very bad idea!
Originally I think that was their plan but it doesnt look like it's going to be rolled out anytime soon and I'm still being charged for phone calls. When I originally had Virgin my landline was stand alone so If the broadband went down then I could still make calls and Virgin do seem to go down a lot more than other providers :shrug: I only switched as they were a cheaper option.
We did this a while back, from Sky to Talk Talk (I think!) and although the newer one promised a much better service and faster speeds, it's nowhere near as good. If we set a one hour show to download to our Sky box in HD, it can easily take well over two hours :evil:
Dave (aka Admin)

finlux
Has liked: 2770 times
Been liked: 780 times

Sky Glass

Post by finlux »

Dave wrote:
finlux wrote:

BIB. That makes sense!

Re the speeds of things. In "olden days" equipment used to switch on or off in an instant. Not now! Our Freeview box takes about 4 minutes to get going! Also, if we watch Amazon Prime through our TV, it takes an age to load, then on each button press it has to "think" about it!
Apparently it's called "progress"! :lol: