Album covers

Dave
Has liked: 1171 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Album covers

Post by Dave »

I've always liked the way that a good album cover can "speak to you" and lure you in before you've heard one note of one song.

I guess it's less of a thing now than it used to be, what with physical music purchases dropping away, but it's interesting to look back on some of my favourites and relive the feelings they evoke. A really good one, IMHO, doesn't have to be an amazing piece of art (although it can be, which is why I've popped this topic here) but it has to complement the music. When I was still at school, I got a book called "The Album Cover Album". I've still got that somewhere, but loved the amount of covers it had in it, and the way they themed everything together, and also the fact that the book was the same size as a vinyl album!

Anyway, here's a few out of my own collection that I am fond of

Tumbleweed Connection (Elton John)

The whole album has a feeling of dusty, slightly hopeless, long forgotten mid-West America, and the sleeve grabs this mood perfectly

Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player (Elton John)

As above, an album with an overall feel to it, this time the mood of the late 50's/early 60's

The Roaring Silence (Manfred Mann's Earthband)

Perhaps it's a cheesy bit of imagery, but I've always liked this!

Dragonfly (Jefferson Starship)

Here's one I've always liked for the art itself! I have the album, but never really got on with it (the cover lured me in!)

On The Border (Eagles)

Nice simple piece of artwork, but see anything remotely like it, and it always reminds me of this

Oh, here's the cover of the book I mentioned. I have a feeling that the logo for it was the work of Roger Dean. I used to love his posters and artwork for artists like Yes and Greenslade, although I've never particularly been interested in any of their music. I also have a book of Roger Dean's work!

Dave (aka Admin)

www.natterzone.com - a chat forum based in the UK but for anyone in the world to talk about anything that they want to!
Miss C DeVille
Has liked: 1501 times
Been liked: 781 times

Album covers

Post by Miss C DeVille »

Back in the 70s I bought this for my ex-husband. It had some great artwork inside it too.
jeff-waynes- (640x407).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave
Has liked: 1171 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Album covers

Post by Dave »

Miss C DeVille wrote: Back in the 70s I bought this for my ex-husband. It had some great artwork inside it too.
That's a good point.

I used to love when an album not only had a great sleeve, but also when it was a gatefold, or even a triple gatefold sleeve, and then had a full size 32 page booklet with all the lyrics, loads of track information and tons more artwork!

On the other side to this was the disappointment when there was just a single sleeve, and a paper inner sleeve with nothing on it at all :(
Dave (aka Admin)

www.natterzone.com - a chat forum based in the UK but for anyone in the world to talk about anything that they want to!