What sort of artwork do you like or admire?

Astra LeMort
Has liked: 1631 times
Been liked: 1463 times

Post by Astra LeMort »

Rachel wrote:
Miss C DeVille wrote:

The artist in the painting is supposed to be Van Gogh painting his Starry Night. This was the view that he had from the sanatorium he was in at the time. It's a piece of digital art by an artist called Alex Ruiz.
I was talking about Starry Night with a student once, and, as we were both short sighted, we wondered whether Vincent wasn't myopic, as that is how the student and I saw the stars if we weren't wearing glasses. Reading around the subject showed that this probably wasn't the case, but he possibly suffered from digitalis poisoning because of some of his meds. Nevertheless, the effect was wonderful! I've got an ear worm now, this:

BIB me too. I hate that song :wallhead:
Life is an echo; we get what we give
Rachel
Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 1255 times

Post by Rachel »

Astra LeMort wrote:
Rachel wrote:

I was talking about Starry Night with a student once, and, as we were both short sighted, we wondered whether Vincent wasn't myopic, as that is how the student and I saw the stars if we weren't wearing glasses. Reading around the subject showed that this probably wasn't the case, but he possibly suffered from digitalis poisoning because of some of his meds. Nevertheless, the effect was wonderful! I've got an ear worm now, this:

Did you ever see the Doctor Who episode (Matt Smith) about Van Gogh. It was really good, silly in places but good, but I cried at the end!

edit: I see it's available on iPlayer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... the-doctor
Astra LeMort
Has liked: 1631 times
Been liked: 1463 times

Post by Astra LeMort »

Rachel wrote:
Astra LeMort wrote:

Did you ever see the Doctor Who episode (Matt Smith) about Van Gogh. It was really good, silly in places but good, but I cried at the end!

No I didn't. Never really got into the recent Dr Who, though I used to watch it years ago when John Pertwee was the doctor (showing my age). I think the only episode I watched was the one with the stone angels that moved when you're not looking. That was scary!
Life is an echo; we get what we give
Deb Arkle
Has liked: 1037 times
Been liked: 623 times

Post by Deb Arkle »

I loved the Van Gogh Dr Who - very moving, it’s one which I still think about sometimes.
Miss C DeVille
Has liked: 1501 times
Been liked: 781 times

Post by Miss C DeVille »

Astra LeMort wrote:
Rachel wrote:

No I didn't. Never really got into the recent Dr Who, though I used to watch it years ago when John Pertwee was the doctor (showing my age). I think the only episode I watched was the one with the stone angels that moved when you're not looking. That was scary!
I stopped watching Doctor Who after Peter Capaldi. I don't get Doctor Who being a woman.
I liked David Tennant and Matt Smith as the doctor.
Deb Arkle
Has liked: 1037 times
Been liked: 623 times

Post by Deb Arkle »

Ohh David Tennant 🤤
finlux
Has liked: 3063 times
Been liked: 846 times

Post by finlux »

Personally, I wouldn't say I'm a fan of any particular type of art.

Sometimes I can look at pictures and think: "Well, that's boring", but other times, something catches my eye and I think: "Wow, that's beautiful/stunning/amazing"! It could be a picture, or a real life view of something.

The examples that @Dave used in Posts #1 & #3 are amazing. Especially, the picture in post #3 :shock:
Sue Donym
Has liked: 612 times
Been liked: 194 times

Post by Sue Donym »

Art to me is similar to music - “if I like it, I like it” regardless of art form whether that be drawings, statues, watercolour, engravings etc.

The My Bed 🛌 by Tracey Emin didn’t do diddly-squat for me. :? I could easily replicate that and I’ve no creative bone in my body. :lol:
Boo! 😱