What are you reading at the moment?

swingaleg
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 762 times

Post by swingaleg »

As for prescribed books at school we had Chaucer, Shakespeare and Dickens in the 1960s .............that was for O level

You'd probably have to go to Eton nowadays to get that combination!
Dave
Has liked: 921 times
Been liked: 2123 times

Post by Dave »

I do think that the way Shakespeare and the like were taught when I was at school tended to put people off his work :(

When Gill and I first got together we started going to Stratford Upon Avon and seeing plays there. I must say, we enjoyed them all, and saw a lot of famous actors too. They weren't always done in traditional style, in fact quite the opposite. There were some amazing interpretations. The only one I didn't really enjoy was at The Other Place, the small theatre. This wasn't the fault of the play (well, not totally). Part of the problem was that we'd had a huge meal before the play, and were both struggling with terrible indigestion! :oops: The other part was that the players were all men and were "wearing" cowboy chaps with bare arses :roll: which was made even worse when they started striding about on catwalks into the audience, especially when one stood right next to me! :hmm:

(Gill had no problem with the above!)
Dave (aka Admin)

www.natterzone.com - a chat forum based in the UK but for anyone in the world to talk about anything that they want to!
Dave
Has liked: 921 times
Been liked: 2123 times

Post by Dave »

swingaleg wrote: I don't read any more either

My eyesight is a bit iffy and it's a struggle ......... I'd have to read with a magnifying glass which is too much trouble

I'm OK on the laptop because I just zoom up the text size
I'm a little like this. Overall my eyesight isn't too bad, but I do have bad "floaters" which mean that physical book reading is less enjoyable than it used to be. I'm happier using a laptop, although that probably doesn't help the eyes :(

I used to read actual books a lot more before computers. I always had a Terry Pratchett on the go during break times at work, (out screening in a mobile unit with the NHS) but then we went digital, and had a PC installed, and I became addicted to computers!

Before this, when truck driving, I used to get audio books from the local library, usually thrillers - Dick Francis was a favourite :)
Dave (aka Admin)

www.natterzone.com - a chat forum based in the UK but for anyone in the world to talk about anything that they want to!
Rachel
Has liked: 1004 times
Been liked: 1068 times

Post by Rachel »

I've just finished re-reading All Quiet On The Western Front. (Erich Maria Remarque). Even better on re-reading. So very moving, beautiful prose - I read in translation, not being able to read the original German- and the most anti-war novel of our times, I think, No wonder it was banned and burned by the Nazis.