Tour De France 2022

Post here about Le Tour De France, Giro D'Italia, La Vuelta a España - and any other cycling events you are interested in
Dave
Has liked: 1053 times
Been liked: 2303 times

Tour De France 2022

Post by Dave »

With Wimbledon being mentioned as being "just around the corner" (although it's still 10 days until it starts!) it reminded me that we the TdF coming up :D

I thought it was probably around the end of July, but it turns out it's actually two weeks today, on the 1st of July :fingers:

Looking back to last year though, it's beginning almost a week later (26th June last year).

Either way, looking forward to it :)

EDIT: Interestingly, the TdF is one day longer this year than last at 24 days, whilst Wimbledon of course is the usual 14 days. Last year the TdF had been going 2 days when Wimbledon started so the whole lot overlapped - which sometime means the latter is on as Gill prefers it ;) - but this year we have a mere 10 days of overlap as Wimbledon starts 4 days before the TdF :lol:
Dave (aka Admin)

www.natterzone.com - a chat forum based in the UK but for anyone in the world to talk about anything that they want to!
swingaleg
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 888 times

Tour De France 2022

Post by swingaleg »

Slight concern amongst the peloton at the moment as Covid is reappearing amongst the cyclists

A lot of riders have pulled out of the Tour of Switzerland which is on at the moment including the whole Jumbo Visma team (one of the big 3 or 4 teams) and Britain's Adam Yates who was using this as a warm up for the Tour

The Tour starts in Denmark this year and is live on Eurosport and ITV4
Dave

Tour De France 2022

Post by Dave »

swingaleg wrote: Slight concern amongst the peloton at the moment as Covid is reappearing amongst the cyclists

A lot of riders have pulled out of the Tour of Switzerland which is on at the moment including the whole Jumbo Visma team (one of the big 3 or 4 teams) and Britain's Adam Yates who was using this as a warm up for the Tour

The Tour starts in Denmark this year and is live on Eurosport and ITV4
That's not good. Fingers crossed that it goes ahead...
Dave (aka Admin)

www.natterzone.com - a chat forum based in the UK but for anyone in the world to talk about anything that they want to!
swingaleg

Tour De France 2022

Post by swingaleg »

Blimey ....... another 29 riders have pulled out of the Tour of Switzerland this morning including 3 more entire teams

It's now the biggest number of riders to pull out of a race sincd the pandemic began
Dave

Tour De France 2022

Post by Dave »

^^ That's not boding well for the TdF. :(

I wonder, if they did have to cancel, whether or not they would reschedule for later in the year, or miss a year?
Dave (aka Admin)

swingaleg

Tour De France 2022

Post by swingaleg »

Dave wrote: ^^ That's not boding well for the TdF. :(

I wonder, if they did have to cancel, whether or not they would reschedule for later in the year, or miss a year?
I reckon they would just miss a year ....... the race calendar is so full they couldn't fit it in

Riders still have two weeks to recover and not all the abandoning riders are covid positive ..... some are pulling out as a precautionary measure

I think the teams have squads of about 25 riders so they should all be able to put a team of 9 in the Tour

I can't see it being cancelled really !
swingaleg

Tour De France 2022

Post by swingaleg »

The two main British riders who pulled out of the Tour of Switzerland with covid positives ...... Adam Yates and Tom Pidcock.... have both been named in the Ineos (formerly Sky) squad for the Tour so looks like they've had enough time to recover

Tom Pidcock is interesting ....... we've been following him on the DS Cycling thread since he was about 16 and within a year or two he was winning men's races at British championships

Three or 4 years later he was already a world champion at junior and under 23 level in mountain biking, cyclo-cross and road racing

Olympic Champion in mountain biking and world champion in Cyclo-cross last year

He joined the Ineos road racing team last year and won one of the one day Classics........

Had his first Grand Tour race in last year's Vuelta

Now looks like he might have reached the top of the tree and taking part in this year's Tour de France ...

Been a continuously upward trajectory over half a dozen years and he's still only 22

Something seemed to happen in road race cycling in the last few years ....... traditionally riders reached their peak in their late 20s but nowadays guys that are 5 years younger are dominating ........ it's almost as though missing the best part of two years in the pandemic saw a huge generational shift relatively overnight
Dave

Tour De France 2022

Post by Dave »

^^ Interesting!

One to watch then. I usually look at who in the race at the beginning, pick three or four to follow, then watch as they all fall off and retire within the first few stages :(
Dave (aka Admin)