Road Race Cycling

Post here about Le Tour De France, Giro D'Italia, La Vuelta a España - and any other cycling events you are interested in
swingaleg
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 763 times

Road Race Cycling

Post by swingaleg »

Dave wrote:
swingaleg wrote: I reckon your next live action on ITV4 will the the Tour of Britain which starts 5th September and is an 8 day race this year
Oops, I forgot all about this!

For some reason I got the 5 and 8 mixed up and thought it was a five day race starting on the 8th, so I've missed half of it already!
Apparently today's stage is the one that Mark Cavendish is targeting ..... a loop around the posh Cheshire suburbs of Greater Manchester with a brief nip into the peak district for some small climbs then a long flat run across Cheshire to Warrington

He's been hiding away in the peloton saving himself for a suitable stage

Only trouble is that everyone knows this stage suits Cav ......... so all the other teams will be sitting back knowing that Cav's lot will chase down the breaks. There may be other teams who fancy their chances and will help out .... Griepl is here and he's retiring after this race or this season so he might fancy a last hurrah

But I expect to see Cav's men pounding away on the front of the peloton on the flatlands
swingaleg

Road Race Cycling

Post by swingaleg »

The Beeb are showing the elite men's and women's events for the world championships next week ........

BBC coverage times
All times listed are BST and are subject to change.

Sunday, 19 September
13:30-16:15 - Men's time trial, BBC Two, BBC iPlayer & BBC Sport website & app

Monday, 20 September
13:30-15:45 - Women's time trial, BBC Two, BBC iPlayer & BBC Sport website & app

Wednesday, 22 September
13:25-16:05 - Mixed Team time trial, BBC Red Button, BBC iPlayer & BBC Sport website & app

Saturday, 25 September
11:20-16:15 - Women's road race (uninterrupted), BBC Red Button, BBC iPlayer & BBC Sport website & app

14:00-16:15 - Women's road race, BBC Two
Sunday, 26 September

09:25-17:00 - Men's road race (uninterrupted), BBC Red Button, BBC iPlayer & BBC Sport website & app
14:40-17:00 - Men's road race, BBC Two

GB have named a squad of 30 including the juniors and U23s ......

Elite Women Road Race: Lizzie Deignan, Anna Shackley, Alice Barnes, Anna Henderson, Pfeiffer Georgi, Joss Lowden.
Elite Women Time Trial: Joss Lowden, Pfeiffer Georgi.
Elite Men Road Race: Tom Pidcock, Luke Rowe, Fred Wright, Jake Stewart, Connor Swift, Ben Swift, Mark Cavendish, Ethan Hayter.
Elite Men Time Trial: Ethan Hayter, Dan Bigham.
U23 Men Road Race: Ethan Vernon, Sam Watson, Oliver Stockwell, Robert Donaldson, Lewis Askey.
U23 Men Time Trial: Ethan Vernon.
Junior Women Road Race: Maddie Leech, Millie Couzens, Flora Perkins, Zoe Bäckstedt.
Junior Women Time Trial: Zoe Bäckstedt, Maddie Leech, Millie Couzens (reserve).
Junior Men Road Race: Max Poole, Finlay Pickering, Joshua Tarling, Jack Brough.
Junior Men Time Trial: Finlay Pickering, Joshua Tarling, Max Poole (reserve).
Mixed Team Time Trial: Dan Bigham (team leader), Alex Dowsett, John Archibald, Joss Lowden, Alice Barnes, Anna Henderson.
Dave
Has liked: 921 times
Been liked: 2124 times

Road Race Cycling

Post by Dave »

:)

I might watch the road races (if I don't forget again!) but not too fussed about time trials, as I think I might have mentioned on the TDF thread!

Having said that, I usually like to watch to follow famous names, and I'm not seeing many there! :lol:
Dave (aka Admin)

www.natterzone.com - a chat forum based in the UK but for anyone in the world to talk about anything that they want to!
swingaleg

Road Race Cycling

Post by swingaleg »

Zoe Backstedt wins the Junior World Championship road race for GB after finishing 2nd in the time trial earlier in the week

Made more special by the fact that her Dad was commentating on the race for Eurosport ...tears all round but he held himself together reasonably well !

Chapeau to Zoe and Magnus
Dave
Has liked: 921 times
Been liked: 2124 times

Road Race Cycling

Post by Dave »

Darn it - I did mean to watch some of last week's, but I forgot all about it!
Dave (aka Admin)

www.natterzone.com - a chat forum based in the UK but for anyone in the world to talk about anything that they want to!
swingaleg

Road Race Cycling

Post by swingaleg »

Paris - Roubaix underway .......... the most important one day cycle race in the world

257 kilometres through northern France with numerous sections of cobbled lanes and short sharp climbs to negotiate ..... the weather is nice which in some ways is a shame because it's even more spectacular in wet conditions with riders caked in mud from the country lanes they encounter along the way.

It takes a certain kind of rider to win it ....... it's not really a race for sprinters or climbers but for the strong men. 160 miles over harsh terrain ....... anyone who finishes is a hero and the winner is catapulted into the cycling hall of fame

No Brit has ever won it ......