Ragnarok

Dave
Has liked: 1171 times
Been liked: 2400 times

Ragnarok

Post by Dave »

Or Ragnarök apparently :)

I guess this could have have gone in the "Streaming" section as it's on Netflix, but thought it'd be nice to get something in "Non-English language TV" area! Although we are watching the dubbed-into-English version...

We very nearly swerved it due to misgivings over dubbing, but to be fair, it's pretty well done and after a while you don't notice too many lip-sync moments.

The story is perhaps not amazing - Giants who are the same size as humans (although maybe this has yet to be explained) and teenagers who seem to have been at school for 120 years without anyone noticing - but nevertheless it's got good characters and has drawn us in. Finished S1 last night and then went straight into episode 1 of Series 2

Anyone else watching?
Dave (aka Admin)

www.natterzone.com - a chat forum based in the UK but for anyone in the world to talk about anything that they want to!
Miss C DeVille
Has liked: 1501 times
Been liked: 781 times

Ragnarok

Post by Miss C DeVille »

Earlier this year I saw a series advertised, that looked really good...until I saw it was in Italian. It was called The Hunter, and it's a crime series.
I don't like programmes with subtitles, so unfortunately I gave it a miss.
https://crimefictionlover.com/2021/04/t ... -presents/
Dave

Ragnarok

Post by Dave »

I've got a feeling that Netflix make a point of making their output available in multiple languages - we've watched a lot of things in English, which if you leave the credits running at the end, list all the characters as voice artists in French, German, Spanish etc. Of course, it depends how good they do the dubbing as to whether it works or not, but for Ragnarok, it certainly seems to :)
Dave (aka Admin)

www.natterzone.com - a chat forum based in the UK but for anyone in the world to talk about anything that they want to!
Ian
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 120 times

Ragnarok

Post by Ian »

I am half way through the 2nd series and find it pretty good, Netflix are doing a great job with the dubbing of their titles.
They do explain how they manage to work there way through school etc, spoiler below if You havent seen it yet
They possess a little magic and can age their features so the fathers features show signs of age and He "dies" the son takes over the business and then the father comes back as his son! :)
Dave

Ragnarok

Post by Dave »

Ian wrote: I am half way through the 2nd series and find it pretty good, Netflix are doing a great job with the dubbing of their titles.
They do explain how they manage to work there way through school etc, spoiler below if You havent seen it yet
They possess a little magic and can age their features so the fathers features show signs of age and He "dies" the son takes over the business and then the father comes back as his son! :)
Glad someone else is watching it!

When we started, we were worried that the dubbing would ruin it, but quite quickly forgot it :) The worst one was Magne's mum, Turid, who they gave a ridiculously cliched accent to - although to be fair, it was actually quite endearing by the end!

Re the hidden bit yes, that made "sense" in the end!

BTW, I thought that Laurits made a better Loki than Tom Hiddleston in the films!
Dave (aka Admin)

Ian
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 120 times

Ragnarok

Post by Ian »

Turid's accent almost seemed out of place and a bit silly when I first heard it, But yeah it does grow on You and fits the character :)

I was going to mention Laurits/Loki, great casting :)
Dave

Ragnarok

Post by Dave »

Laurits was actually annoying to start with, but by the time he became Loki (even though the character is a "baddie") he was quite likeable!
Dave (aka Admin)