Trivial things that annoy you a lot!

Dave
Has liked: 1053 times
Been liked: 2303 times

Post by Dave »

On BBC Breakfast they were talking about inflation being at 9.1% and the reporter said "Another way of looking at this is that it means you've got 9.1% less in your pocket".

Apart from sounding patronising, isn't this mathematically incorrect? Let's say you have £100 and get 10% extra, you now have £110. But if you now do the reverse and take 10% off, you're subtracting £11 and end up with £99.

So it's not the same at all!
Dave (aka Admin)

www.natterzone.com - a chat forum based in the UK but for anyone in the world to talk about anything that they want to!
Doctor_Wibble
Has liked: 691 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Post by Doctor_Wibble »

Doubly correct I think Dave! It's a misleading description and their maths doesn't add up (or in this case, multiply).

A bit like when people back-calculate a price without VAT by taking off 20% instead of a sixth.
E&OE, P&P not included, warranty void if viewed 😎
Dave

Post by Dave »

Doctor_Wibble wrote: Doubly correct I think Dave! It's a misleading description and their maths doesn't add up (or in this case, multiply).

A bit like when people back-calculate a price without VAT by taking off 20% instead of a sixth.
Yes! That's a better example of what I was trying to put across :)

£100 plus VAT would be £120, but £120 minus 20% would be £96. I would work out what the percentage "loss to our pockets" is with 9.1% inflation, but it's too hot today and my brain is mush!
Dave (aka Admin)

www.natterzone.com - a chat forum based in the UK but for anyone in the world to talk about anything that they want to!
Astra LeMort
Has liked: 1524 times
Been liked: 1368 times

Post by Astra LeMort »

Dave wrote:
Doctor_Wibble wrote: Doubly correct I think Dave! It's a misleading description and their maths doesn't add up (or in this case, multiply).

£100 plus VAT would be £120, but £120 minus 20% would be £96. I would work out what the percentage "loss to our pockets" is with 9.1% inflation, but it's too hot today and my brain is mush!
It's roughly 8.25% :D
Life is an echo; we get what we give
Miss C DeVille
Has liked: 1463 times
Been liked: 754 times

Post by Miss C DeVille »

Astra LeMort wrote:
Dave wrote:

It's roughly 8.25% :D
The easy way is if you have £120 and you want to take 20% off is divide it by 1.2
Astra LeMort
Has liked: 1524 times
Been liked: 1368 times

Post by Astra LeMort »

I usually listen to Planet Rock Radio on the internet whilst I'm working. Gone to it today, and it won't let me listen unless I create an account. WTF? Why do I need an account just to listen to a radio station?

It surely can't be just to get my email address so they can bombard me with spam, or to collect info about me so they can target their ads.
/sarcasm
Life is an echo; we get what we give
Doctor_Wibble

Post by Doctor_Wibble »

^^ to follow that one, went to read an article earlier...
Cookies?
Add to home screen?
Notifications?
Join mailing list?

FFS by the time I got to the actual text I had forgotten why I wanted to read it :x
Dave

Post by Dave »

Doctor_Wibble wrote: ^^ to follow that one, went to read an article earlier...
Cookies?
Add to home screen?
Notifications?
Join mailing list?

FFS by the time I got to the actual text I had forgotten why I wanted to read it :x
That puts me in mind of websites you are visiting for the first time, which load and then ask you to fill in a satisfaction survey. "How was your experience today?" "I don't know, as I closed the place as soon as the popup appeared" :wallhead:
Dave (aka Admin)

d0lphin
Has liked: 431 times
Been liked: 1117 times

Post by d0lphin »

In the last few weeks 2 pupils have been run over outside the school. It's a busy road and there are traffic lights but no pedestrian crossing.
So on the Facebook page for the local area, someone has come up with the wonderful idea that teachers stand outside from 8.00 am to ensure that the children cross safely.
Here's a radical idea.
How about the parents making sure that their children have road sense and making sure that they get to school safely?

ETA both ended up with a broken leg but are otherwise fine.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make
Doctor_Wibble

Post by Doctor_Wibble »

Careful now, that's borderline 'victim blaming' :o :o :o

Though now I re-read that, I see ' "careful now"? That's borderline victim blaming!'.

*shoots panda and leaves*

With a camera! Even I'm not that bad...