Talk about computers, software, tech manufacturers
swingaleg
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 888 times

Windows Updates

Post by swingaleg »

Grrrrrrr ..........

My main laptop is currently sat there taking the mickey out of me

Got a message to Restart for Updates ......... pressed Restart half an hour ago and since then ii's just got 'Preparing to configure Windows. Do not turn off your computer'

It's about 40 minutes now ......... at some point I'm just going to have to turn it off and turn it on again to see what happens

Got my spare laptop out and it's now downloading Updates that I know will fail to install because it's happened 30 or more times before but the whole process of downloading, installing and failing takes about 7 hours

Not too bothered about this one ........ I just disconnect from the internet and turn it off when I want to regardless of where it is in the Update cycle

What a pain in the arse Windows Updates are !
swingaleg

Windows Updates

Post by swingaleg »

whoa ...... about 55 minutes gone and it's started to install the updates ........ 30% complete

I guess the moral is Be Patient but it's difficult when you're staring at an unchanging screen for nearly an hour
Doctor_Wibble
Has liked: 691 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Windows Updates

Post by Doctor_Wibble »

Almost an hour to get anywhere :o

This is one of the reasons I never allow any system to schedule its own updates or have them in any way automatic, because sod's law dictates that even when you carefully set the time to not coincide, somehow something makes all the crap happen at the same time :x

Still doesn't fix everything as there's other bits that regularly ping for updates that don't have much control available and everything else grinds to a halt while it 'pauses for thought'...
E&OE, P&P not included, warranty void if viewed 😎
Astra LeMort
Has liked: 1524 times
Been liked: 1368 times

Windows Updates

Post by Astra LeMort »

^^ Even worse is when it just sits there for another half an hour showing '100% complete'.
Life is an echo; we get what we give
Dave
Has liked: 1053 times
Been liked: 2303 times

Windows Updates

Post by Dave »

^^ And inevitably, when it does force the updates on you, it's that one time when you really, really need to get the machine working quickly :evil:

I can't recall a time ever when I have had an update, and afterwards thought "That new feature is amazing" or "My machine seems so much faster now"...
Dave (aka Admin)

www.natterzone.com - a chat forum based in the UK but for anyone in the world to talk about anything that they want to!
swingaleg

Windows Updates

Post by swingaleg »

That's true .........

all the Updates seem to do is try to force you to Sync your machine with Windows so they can sell you more and more stuff from the Windows Store

Personally I refuse to have a Microsoft Account and sign in with a Local Account ........ I don't want everything Synced !

I keep getting Pop Ups from MS along the lines of 'There appears to be a problem with your Microsoft Account' ......... er, no, there is no problem, I don't sign in using one
Doctor_Wibble
Has liked: 691 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Windows Updates

Post by Doctor_Wibble »

Android is just as bad for the slowing down - I have an old mobile that I was using for data connections which is brilliant because it can browse windows networks but now even after uninstalling and disabling as much as possible, its response time has gone from great to 'seriously effing annoying'.

If the solution is a clear-everything total reset then that's worse than windows (which I can't remember ever reinstalling for anything except a dead drive) because so many lessons were there to be learned and yet they have all been completely ignored.
E&OE, P&P not included, warranty void if viewed 😎